The Italian ceramic industry embraces CSR and UN Global Goals | by Loris Manicardi
Article published in: "A production process in keeping with the Circular Economy"
The Italian ceramic tile industry has embraced a broad vision of sustainability, ranging from the use of non-toxic raw materials to efficient, high-performance production systems, from the protection of workplaces to full compliance with regulations and worker rights. These efforts have led to a policy of Corporate Social Responsibility through numerous initiatives benefiting workers and the surrounding area. This attention is also future-oriented as it considers the new goals established by the UN.
Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) and Company Welfare
In 2011 Confindustria Ceramica published the 1st Directory of Good CSR Practices in the Italian ceramic industry, the first systematic collection of recent CSR initiatives conducted by member companies, bringing attention to the significant number of actions already under way in the various CSR areas (Environment, Community, Employee Welfare). In 2015 a new survey highlighted the many formal and informal Corporate Welfare practices adopted in the sector to improve the quality of life of employees and their families.
Agenda 2030 – UN Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs)
Nel 2019, Confindustria Ceramica clarified the Italian ceramic sector’s position with respect to the 17 new UN Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) by drafting a Report devoted specifically to the characteristics of the Italian ceramic industry.
Sources of information – Regulatory references
- Rapporto 2010-2015: Fattori di impatto e prestazioni ambientali (Confindustria Ceramica, 2015) [Report 2010-2015: Impact factors and environmental performance (Confindustria Ceramica, 2015)]
- La Ceramica Italiana per la Sostenibilità. Confindustria Ceramica – aggiornamento 2016 [Italian ceramics for sustainability. Confindustria Ceramica – 2016 update]
- ISO/TC 189 – Ceramic tile
- EPD Piastrelle di ceramica italiane. Confindustria Ceramica – 2016 [EPD Italian ceramic tiles. Confindustria Ceramica – 2016]
- Report – La Responsabilità Sociale d’Impresa nel Distretto Ceramico. A cura di Focus Lab – 2008 [Report – Corporate social responsibility of ceramic district companies. Edited by Focus Lab – 2008]
- Repertorio di buone pratiche di Responsabilità Sociale d’Impresa (CSR) nell’Industria Ceramica. Confindustria Ceramico – 2011 e 2013 [Directory of good Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) practices in the ceramic industry. Confindustria Ceramico – 2011 and 2013]
- Il Welfare Aziendale nell’Industria Ceramica – Indagine. Confindustria Ceramica – 2015 [Company welfare in the ceramic industry – Survey. Confindustria Ceramica – 2015]
Other articles published in A production process in keeping with the Circular Economy
Substantial investments in technological innovation and new factories and warehouses have enabled the Italian ceramic industry to establish a world leadership position.